Home Schooling resources
TODO: make these URLs
Sites with lists of their own
- BrainPop - online learning site, with a jr for k-4 (kinder to year 4?) and free family access for covid-19
- Curiosity Stream - documentary streaming site, paid only? older kids
- Tynker kids coding starting at age 5-7
- Outschool live online classes ages 3-18 - paid, with free outschool.org for families in need
- Udemy giant online education site, paid, with covid discounts
- iReady - USA only? paid learning
- Beast Academy Math online + books, paid with covid discount, older kids
- Khan Academy and their kids apps a nonprofit education place of awesomeness. Kid app might need a microphone?? Free I think.
- Creative Bug online arts and crafts training courses (paid)
- Discovery Education - classroom resources (paid with some free content)
- Scholastic books has created a free learn-from-home site with 20+ days of learning and activities. https://shop.scholastic.co.uk/homelearning but an awful lot is teasers with links to members-only resources US site: https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html
- Crash course YouTube videos on many subjects
- Crash Course Kids as above for kids - currently "5th Grade Science"
- Science Channel
- SciShow Kids
- National Geographic Kids
- Free School
- Geography Focus
- Kids Learning Tube
- Geeek Gurl Diaries
- Mike Likes Science
- Science Max
Human body activities for Kids
"A complete, free online Christian homeschool curriculum for your family and mine"
Mostly web-based - useful for a kid old enough to be on a computer, not so sure on toddlers.
Actually some of them are paper-and-pencil based.
List of thinking games by grade: https://allinonehomeschool.com/thinking/
Getting Ready 1 for pre-schoolers
Other uncategorised free learning websites
List compiled by home educators
A non-exhaustive list that might help those affected by school closures due to coronavirus, compiled by home educators. Feel free to share.
Khan Academy https://www.khanacademy.org Especially good for maths and computing for all ages but other subjects at Secondary level. Note this uses the U.S. grade system but it's mostly common material.
BBC Learning http://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/coursesearch/ This site is old and no longer updated and yet there's so much still available, from language learning to BBC Bitesize for revision. No TV licence required except for content on BBC iPlayer.
Futurelearn https://www.futurelearn.com Free to access 100s of courses, only pay to upgrade if you need a certificate in your name (own account from age 14+ but younger learners can use a parent account).
Seneca https://www.senecalearning.com For those revising at GCSE or A level. Tons of free revision content. Paid access to higher level material.
Openlearn https://www.open.edu/openlearn/ Free taster courses aimed at those considering Open University but everyone can access it. Adult level, but some e.g. nature and environment courses could well be of interest to young people.
Blockly https://blockly.games Learn computer programming skills - fun and free.
Scratch https://scratch.mit.edu/explore/projects/games/ Creative computer programming
Ted Ed https://ed.ted.com All sorts of engaging educational videos
National Geographic Kids https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/ Activities and quizzes for younger kids.
Duolingo https://www.duolingo.com Learn languages for free. Web or app.
Mystery Science https://mysteryscience.com Free science lessons
The Kids Should See This https://thekidshouldseethis.com Wide range of cool educational videos
Crest Awards https://www.crestawards.org Science awards you can complete from home.
iDEA Awards https://idea.org.uk Digital enterprise award scheme you can complete online.
Paw Print Badges https://www.pawprintbadges.co.uk Free challenge packs and other downloads. Many activities can be completed indoors. Badges cost but are optional.
Tinkercad https://www.tinkercad.com All kinds of making.
Prodigy Maths https://www.prodigygame.com Is in U.S. grades, but good for UK Primary age.
Cbeebies Radio https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/radio Listening activities for the younger ones.
Nature Detectives https://naturedetectives.woodlandtrust.org.uk/naturedetectives/ A lot of these can be done in a garden, or if you can get to a remote forest location!
British Council https://www.britishcouncil.org/school-resources/find Resources for English language learning
Oxford Owl for Home https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/ Lots of free resources for Primary age - this is Oxford University Press, great links
Big History Project https://www.bighistoryproject.com/home Aimed at Secondary age. Multi disciplinary activities.
Geography Games https://world-geography-games.com/world.html Geography gaming!
Blue Peter Badges https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/joinin/about-blue-peter-badges If you have a stamp and a nearby post box.
The Artful Parent https://www.facebook.com/artfulparent/ and https://artfulparent.com Good, free art activities
Red Ted Art https://www.redtedart.com Easy arts and crafts for little ones
The Imagination Tree https://theimaginationtree.com Creative art and craft activities for the very youngest.
Toy Theater https://toytheater.com/ Educational online games
DK Find Out https://www.dkfindout.com/uk/?fbclid=IwAR2wJdpSJSeITf4do6aPhff8A3tAktnmpaxqZbkgudD49l71ep8-sjXmrac Activities and quizzes
Twinkl https://www.twinkl.co.uk This is more for printouts, and usually at a fee, but they are offering a month of free access to parents in the event of school closures.
In Our Time archive
This is the BBC4 radio podcast - huge numbers of history podcasts available for free: